Friday, January 27, 2012

Writing the Self

Written on the body is a secret code only visible in certain lights: the accumulations of a lifetime gather there. In places the palimpsest is so heavily worked that the letters feel like Braille. 
                                                                   - Jeanette Winterson, Written on the Body

I am not what one would call a "creative writer." The closest I come is that sometimes I think creative thoughts or questions and then I answer them in bland ways. I am, nevertheless, a writer, and so I spend a lot of my time thinking about writing. Mostly, I think (and write) about the writing and thoughts of others. My biggest question is always the same: Why do people write, especially since writing is so difficult? Why do I write?

I have no definitive answer to these questions, but I do have a theory. I am not sure why others write, but I feel like I write because it is the most personal form I have of expressing myself. My words are the fingerprints of my body that I leave on the page. They are the pieces of me that I need to write down before I can realize them. Is it any wonder that we call a writer's oeuvre his body of work, his corpus?

The fact that these words are so personal makes them all the more difficult to write. On one level, I need to write them; I need them to be heard and understood so that I can be heard and understood. But on another level, I'm always so afraid they won't be read the way I intend. And if they are misread, then I'll be misread by extension.

Writing is the only process I know that is so personal, so direct, and yet so indirect at the same time. If I write about the impossibility of male-male desire in the British Empire, an impossibility made so by both gender and space, is this all I mean? Can I not also be talking about the impossibility of a long distance relationship? About my own failures and fears? About the society I live in today? When I write about theories of space, geography, and history, am I not also talking about a Geography major who lives far away from here? Am I not attempting to map geography and space onto the field of history in a way that allows for travels in time to a space I will probably never see again? I am and I am not. I say all of this and I don't.

I've been thinking of all of this after days of working on my personal statement. Sometimes it feels so impossible to write this statement, to list all of the reasons I love literature, all of the reasons I write, and all of my interests. But isn't all of my writing already a personal statement?

I say all of this out of a love for writing and a desire to talk about it in a way that is more than just what's on the page. I say all of this to be honest, but also as a plea: Be careful, dear reader, my corpus is before you.

3 comments:

  1. I liked this post a lot. In case you hadn't figured it out from my blog, I think about writing and self a good bit too.

    As far as being misunderstood, I find this to be immensely entertaining, frustrating, and awesome all at the same time. A lot of times people read into what I've written in a way that I never thought about or intended, but it's something so beautiful and right that I smile and nod and go with it. Other times I hope they have no clue what they're talking about. I lose sleep wondering if some deep part of me meant for it to read that way. It's scary. But I wake up in the morning and write again to see what will be revealed to me in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say that you and Hannah inspire me with your passion and ability to make the English language sound so beautiful. I spend weeks at a time to turn out an average paper. So it is so nice to see two people who have such a way with words. I look forward to seeing the finished product from your work one day Alex. It is all very interesting and opened up a world I knew nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I expect that you write because you could not NOT write---I bet anything you feel driven to write, and that it is as important to you as breathing.

    I have really, really enjoyed your blog and I hope it will be OK with you if I keep reading it even after the interim is done!

    ReplyDelete