Sunday, January 15, 2012

Yer Gonna Make Me Give Myself a Good Talkin' To


I'm caught in a rut where I have a lot of ideas to write and not a lot of energy or ability to articulate anything. I've been doing research, though: I finished the Warner book, will probably finish Said's Culture and Imperialism in a day or two, and am steadily working on Forster's A Passage to India. I also bought a collection of Forster's short stories, The Life to Come, and read the introduction to Eve Kosofsky-Sedgwick's Epistemology of the Closet.

I've been thinking a lot about really big concepts, like space, geography, love, and the body. If I were a poet, I would articulate this in a nicer way. These themes represent a significant chunk of my research. I will probably write something about them in other areas, too. I wanted to post a poem that I thought related to these areas in the same ways I am thinking of them, but the best example I could think of was Ondaatje's "The Cinnamon Peeler" and I didn't want to repeat it. Rather than posting all of J.M. Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians, Maxine Hong Kingston's The Woman Warrior, or any number of other novels I consider "favorites," I decided to upload Shawn Colvin's cover of Bob Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go." Listen and weep. 


4 comments:

  1. What a great song! I am sure you will work your way right out of this rut!! I oddly enough seem to enjoy when I get caught in a rut, it forces me to reevaluate the way I am approachign that issue and I always seem to come out learning another strength I posses.( I do not believe that people have weakness..that is to easy to accept....so I believe that we all have an infinite amount of strengths we simply have a lifetime to tap into them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap, that was pretty inspirational. Thanks for the positive perspective!

      Delete
  2. I had never heard this version of this song! Thanks for sharing. Also, it's interesting that you brought up poetry when you're in a rut. When I'm stuck or uninspired, I always read poetry. Right now, "Lighthead" by Terrance Hayes is sitting by my bed. I always want to right after I read poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You folks make me want to learn how to love poetry. I was one of those unfortunate types who had English teachers who killed poetry for me!

    ReplyDelete